Healthy Fertility Snacks for Fall
Let’s talk about healthy fertility snacks for the fall. As we near the start of September, we start to get that back-to-school feeling (even if we are beyond that age or do not have children). We begin to gear up to get back into a day-to-day routine, making it a perfect time of the year to tighten up some healthy habits with nutrition. As our days become more structured, a healthy fertility eating PLAN is more convenient than ever.
Although we have heard and likely already know, snacking can lead to excessive intake of calories, sugar, fat and contribute to weight gain. Not all snacking has to be bad. As a matter of fact, I like to recommend to my clients to try to eat MORE throughout the day instead of less. It all comes down to the quality of the food we are eating and being aware of the calories, sugar, sodium and fiber content.
When searching for well-balanced snacks, we typically look for this specific criteria per serving on the nutrition facts label:
- Calories <200
- Protein: >5g
- Fiber: >5g
- Sodium: <200g
- Sugar: <5g of added sugar
We generally recommend a snack that is high in protein and fiber which will maintain blood sugar levels and keep you fuller and more satisfied for longer.
Recommended Fridge Snacks:
- Greek yogurt – 0% fat
- Cottage cheese – 1 or 0% fat
- Pre portioned cheeses
- Fresh fruit
- Veggies (celery, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli)
- Tzatziki dip
- Hard-boiled egg
- Cottage cheese with high-fiber crackers and strawberries
- Hummus (1/4 cup serving) with sliced veggies
- Fruit with cheese or 1/4 cup of nuts
- Greek yogurt with berries and a high fiber cereal (Big fans of Catalina Crunch)